Extra crispy frog legs were on the menu after this unfortunate amphibian got struck by lighting during a storm Down Under.
Belinda Brustolin was at home in Girraween, in Australia’s Northern Territory, with her four children and dogs when she saw a bright flash and the bolt struck an electricity pole in her front yard just 20m away.
While neither Brenda nor her children were injured by the near miss a green tree frog hiding in a power box attached to the pole wasn’t so lucky.
The frog was instantly fried to death with Belinda discovering its body when she ventured out to asses the damage following the storm.
Green tree frogs are found throughout the eastern and northern parts of Australia. They prefers cool damp places and, particularly in more arid areas, will often use human habitation for shelter.
While not as well known as the koala or the kangaroo, the neon green critters are one of Australia’s best-loved native species animals.
Seemingly unafraid of humans, they are a common sight gobbling up insects on windows, basking in the sun, leaping from piles of leaves, clogging up drains or hiding in toilets.
Like the insects they feed on, they are attracted to light and have a habit of screaming loudly when they are threatened and squeaking when touched.
Protected under Australian law, the frogs have become a popular exotic pet throughout the world and their skin secretions are known to have antibacterial and antiviral properties.
And had this specimen not met such an unfortunate demise it could have lived to the ripe old age of 20 – more than double the lifespan of the common frog.